The project is implemented by the Association for Rural Development “Javor” from Zrnovci.
The project aims at creating conditions for better management of agro-biodiversity in the municipality of Zrnovci, by:
- Raising public awareness concerning the need to improve the quality and sustainable use of soils in the municipality of Zrnovci
- Educating the farmers in the municipality of Zrnovci that differences in agricultural varieties are important, and that they should take into consideration old varieties and breeds,
- Familiarizing the local population about the importance and the role of animals in sustainable management of agro-biodiversity n the municipality and in the wider area.
Activities implemented until now:
- On 25.02.2016 in the Resource Training Centre in Zrnovci, a lecture was held on the topic of “Importance and the Role of Animal Husbandry in Sustainable Management of Agro-Biodiversity, with a Focus on Conserving Indigenous Breeds of Domestic Animals”. The lecturer was Prof. Ghoko Bunevski, PhD. The attendees had an excellent opportunity to become familiar with several interesting topics, to ask questions and to participate in the discussion related to agriculture and animal husbandry. One of the interesting information/possibilities which was presented during the lecture was that all animal breeders which in their herds have the breed Busha can register in the Association of Busha Breeders and if, after the free of charge examination and analysis, the presence of this breed is confirmed, they will be entitled to additional subsidies per animal.
- On 10.02.2016 the members of the Young Explorers Club consisting of pupils from the Primary School Sinisha Stoilov from Zrnovci had a fruitful and interesting study visit to Skopje. The visit was organized by the Association for Rural Development “Javor” – Zrnovci within the project “Promoting and Protecting Agro-Biodiversity in the Municipality of Zrnovci”.
The children visited:
– The Institute for Agriculture where they were explained how to establish and keep a gene bank (plant seeds), as well as why it is needed and it is important to analyse soils and how to do it. They also visited the Faculty of Agriculture and Food where they were given a brief presentation on the importance of soils and conservation of agro-biodiversity; the office of the Association of Busha Breeders and after that they were taken to visit some of the departments at the Faculty.
– The Museum of Natural History of Macedonia. Two guides in the museum in an interesting way presented different content from the two floors of the museum thus explaining the flora and fauna present in Macedonia.
- On 27.12.2015 a visit to a farm with indigenous sheep “Pramenka Ovchepolka” was organized in the village of Patralica, Kriva Palanka. All interested breeders from the municipality of Zrnovci and from the region had an excellent opportunity to visit the farm, to ask questions and to exchange experiences. During the visit a presentation was given by the President of the Association, Mr. Mome Mladenovski. The interest and the satisfaction of the breeders from the visit showed that similar study tours need to be organized more often.