The project is implemented by the Association for Nature Protection of Macedonia
General objective of the project is to promote natural values of the Lesnovo Crater to the wider public and to raise the awareness about the importance of this structure for nature conservation.
Specific objectives of the project are:
- Protection and conservation of the locality Lesnovski Crater;
- Sustainable management of natural rarities in the Lesnovo Crater;
- Promoting development of eco-tourism;
- Promoting development of rural tourism;
Activities implemented until now:
- Geological and geomorphological values of the Lesnovo Crater have been photographed and a text has been prepared on the importance of one of the most preserved paleo-volcanic structures in the Republic of Macedonia;
- A project design has been developed for setting up informational boards and direction boards and a request for offers has been submitted to companies which could manufacture them;
- 4 informational boards have already been made, two of which will be placed on the crossroad at the road which leads to Zletovo towards the village of Lesnovo, while the other two will be placed beside the parking lot in the village of Lesnovo;
- 20 direction boards have been prepared and they will be used to mark the trail 1100 meters long leading to the village of Lesnovo, in the foot of Ilinski Vrv, one of the best preserved volcano cones which surround Lesnovo crater;
- A topographic map has been developed in the scale of 1:50000 on which the hiking trail is marked;
- GIS data have been recorded of the locations on which the most important geological values are located and from the places where the informational boards and the direction boards are placed;
- A leaflet has been prepared and printed in 1000 copies containing basic information about the Lesnovo Crater.
- Animation about past volcano activity of the Lesnovo Crater has been prepared and it will be published on You Tube;
- An initial workshop with the stakeholders has been organised and the Project Coordinator Vasil Anastasovski presented the project “Promoting Natural Values of the Lesnovo Crater”. Besides this a public debate was organized on which the expert associate of the Project Prof. Ivica Milevski PhD, from the Institute of Geography at the Faculty of Science and Mathematics in Skopje gave a lecture on the “Geological values of the Lesnovo Crater and Possibilities for its Valorisation”. Within the presentation, the animation of the volcano activity of the Lesnovo Crater of 20 to 30 million years ago was presented.